avocado & mango salad
This colourful salad is perfect for lunch on a summer's day. It's ideal to serve on its own, but can also be served alongside a BBQ on a summer's day. It's very quick and easy to prepare leaving you more time to spend outside. I'm not usually that keen on adding fruit to a salad, but trust me – this really works!
Serves 2 on its own
1/2 red onion
Handful of fresh coriander
400g tin of black beans
2 large tomatoes or 8 cherry tomatoes
Handful of crisp lettuce
4 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper
- Peel and de-stone the mango and avocados, cut in chunks and add to a large bowl
- Finely slice the red onion and add to the bowl
- Finely slice the coriander and add to the bowl
- Drain the black beans, rinse and then add these to the bowl
- Cut the tomatoes into small chunks and add to the bowl
- Slice the lettuce and also add this to the bowl.
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a small jar, shake and then add to the bowl
The Health Boost Tip
Avocados are nutrient rich and a source of monounsaturated fat, which is essential in a healthy diet. A study in 2005 found that adding avocados to a salad increased the absorption of carotenoids and lycopene from the other ingredients. This obviously means there is more antioxidant activity in your body – which can only be a good thing. Luckily they taste amazing too!