chocolate & beetroot cakes
Adding beetroot to a chocolate cake is certainly not new, it goes so well and makes the cake lovely and moist. These cakes are gluten free, grain free, dairy free and, with only a little maple syrup, almost guilt free. The cacao powder is rich in magnesium and antioxidants so they could almost be called good for you! They are certainly a much better alternative than any processed shop bought sweet treat! Delicious served with a cup of herbal tea.
makes 12 cakes
300g raw beetroot or 250g cooked beetroot
100g ground almonds
75g cashew nut butter
3 tablespoons maple syrup
20g cacao powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 160°C and fill a 12 cupcake tin with cases.
- If using raw beetroot, scrub and place in a saucepan with cold water halfway up the beetroot.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20-30 minutes until soft.
- When the beetroot is cooked peel and place in a food processor.
- if using already cooked beetroot you can start the recipe from this step.
- Blend the cooked beetroot until very finely chopped.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients to the processor and blend again until smooth.
- Place a heaped dessert spoon of the mixture into each cupcake case.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. They are ready when a cocktail stick placed in the centre comes out clean.
the health boost tip
We use beetroot a lot in The Health Boost kitchens and it deserves a place in every healthy kitchen. It's an excellent source of folic acid and a very good source of fibre, manganese and potassium. Cacao is rich in magnesium and flavonoid antioxidants, which help to protect against damage to cholesterol and the lining of the arteries.