coconut & orange slice
At The Health Boost, Kat and I aim to thrive on a balanced lifestyle including lots of good real food, being as active as possible in the time we have, so treats do feature there somewhere. This is one of those treats! Delicious, nutritious and a little naughty! Coconut is a bit of favourite ingredient of mine and luckily it offers many health benefits aside from tasting delicious.
For the crust:
20 Medjool dates, pitted
100g cashew nuts
100g brazil nuts
For the topping:
150g desiccated coconut
200g coconut cream
2 tablespoon raw virgin coconut oil
Zest and juice of 1 orange
Prep time: 20mins
Setting time: 2hours
- Grease a 20 x 20cm baking pan with coconut oil.
- In a food processor bowl add the dates and nuts and blitz until it forms a sticky crumbly texture.
- Add the mixture to the baking pan and press firmly and evenly until smooth, then place in the fridge while you make the topping.
- Rinse the food processor bowl.
- In the food processor bowl add all the topping ingredients and blitz until well combined and smooth.
- Spread the topping evenly over the crust.
- Place into the freezer for 2 hours to set.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into bars or squares.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to serve and enjoy!
the health boost tip
These slices are definitely a treat as calorie dense but only made from real food ingredients and no refined sugars. Coconut as an ingredient has recently become more and more popular and there are many reasons for that. Coconuts are highly nutritious and rich in fibre, vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6 and minerals including iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous.
These bars are incredibly easy to make ahead and freeze or keep in the fridge for moments of needing a quick healthy refuel.