pick & mix egg muffins
Muffins... they are everywhere, appeal to most, and are easy to grab and go… the problem is, well, they’re not usually very healthy and rarely providing real nutrients. Let me introduce the No Carb Egg Muffin! OK, it is more like a pocket size portable omelette!!
9 free range eggs
½ cup full fat or semi skimmed milk (leave out if dairy free)
Today I used:
100g organic smoked salmon
1 cup flat leaf parsley
1 cup baby leaf spinach
Prep Time: 10mins
Cooking time: Approx 20mins
- Preheat oven on 180 C
- Grease a 12-hole muffin tin with your choice of olive oil or coconut oil
- Roughly chop the parsley and spinach
- Cut the smoked salmon in strips or small pieces the size of 50p coins. Plan for 2 pieces per muffin.
- In a large measuring jug or anything with a beak (for ease of pouring in the tin later), break the 9 whole eggs and whisk.
- Add the milk (if using) to the eggs and whisk some more.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Add the chopped parsley and spinach and mix well.
- You are now ready to pour the egg mixture into the muffin tin. Do not fill to the top as these muffins will rise during cooking before settling back down later!
- Add 2 pieces of smoked salmon to each muffin hole.
- Place in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the muffins rise and brown slightly.
They will keep in the fridge for a couple of days
THE HEALTH BOOST TIP
These muffins are so quick and easy to make and only require everyday staple ingredients. They are incredibly versatile and can be enjoyed for breakfast, added to a lunch box, gobbled on the go as a post workout protein rich snack or even be the main event served with a large salad!
Wait, the best bit is that you can make different flavours in one batch to suit and please everyone at home! A healthy family “pick and mix”!
May we suggest the following tried and tested combinations:
Spinach+tomato+feta; green pepper+mozzarella+chorizo; kale+bacon; Parma ham+broccoli… the possibilities are endless. Have fun with it!