So, breakfast cereals… where do we even start? Well, let’s start with the fact that homemade granola is the easiest thing you could do! Make a batch on Sunday afternoon with the kids and enjoy every morning with your choice of milk, yoghurt, fresh fruit etc…
2 ½ cups gluten free rolled porridge oats
½ -1 cup nuts of your choice, mixed, roughly chopped
½ cup raw seeds (we like to use pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds)
½ cup organic dried fruit chopped (dates, unsulphured apricots, cranberries, figs etc…)
2 tbsp good quality maple syrup, or raw honey
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 pinch of sea salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
Making granola is not an exact science, so the quantities are just indicative.
Prep Time: 10mins
Cooking time: 10-15mins
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet with coconut oil
- In a large mixing bowl, pour all the ingredients and stir
- Using your hands, mix well in order for the coconut oil and maple syrup to go round, lightly coat the mix and create a few clusters in the process
- Pour onto the baking sheet and spread well
- Slide in the oven for 10-15 mins until golden
- Leave to cool and store in an air tight glass jar or BPA free container
- Will keep for up to 2 weeks in a cool dry cupboard. It won’t last that long I promise you!
THE HEALTH BOOST TIP
This granola is so simple to make and so much fun that the kids will love to get involved! Each and everyone of them could even tailor make their very own special granola! Yes, with one base of oats, get the kids to chose their favourite nut, seed, dry fruit etc… put on separate baking sheets and store in separate and named jars…
Getting kids involved and feel special is a tried and tested recipe to ensure they will eat it and enjoy it!