chewy oat breakfast bars
Shop bought breakfast bars and so called healthy snack bars are a minefield nowadays. I keep spending far too much time checking what is new on offer in supermarkets and online, and to be fair there is still far too little choice for a nourishing, no nasties, no refined sugar and no nuts option. So nothing better than homemade! These are really simple with a lovely citrus kick of orange perfect for breakfast on-the-go!
12 Medjool dates, pitted
Zest of 2 oranges
Juice of 2 oranges
2 cups gluten free oats
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
3 tablespoon raw virgin coconut oil
Prep time: 15mins
Setting time: 60mins
- Line a ceramic or glass dish with parchment paper. I used a 21cm x 17cm dish.
- In your food processor bowl add the dates and orange juice and blitz until well combined.
- Add all remaining ingredients and blitz.
- Press the mixture firmly into the lined dish and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour to set.
- Cut into bars or squares and enjoy!
the health boost tip
These bars offer a delicious and nutritious balance of good carbs, unrefined natural sugars and essential fatty acids. They also comply with the no-nut policy most schools in the UK adhere to.
We both love pumpkin seeds added to cereals, porridge and snack bars for that little crunch and injection of green. They are a good source of Zinc, a hard to find mineral essential for a healthy immune system.