quinoa & asparagus bowl
A great way to make the most of the asparagus season. If the short asparagus season is over then substitute with broccolini. I have been enjoying this for lunch recently. The portion is a hearty one, but after a dog walk and a session at the gym I feel I deserve it!
Serves one heartily
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 leeks thinly sliced
3 stalk of celery, cut into small slices
1 teaspoon of vegetable curry powder. We like Steenberg's
juice of 1 lemon
10 stalks asparagus
1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- Heat the coconut oil in a sauté pan.
- Add the leeks and celery and cook until soft.
- Add the curry powder and stir.
- Add the quinoa and cook for a few minutes, allowing it to pop to give it a good flavour.
- Add the juice of the lemon and cook until absorbed.
- Now add the water and the asparagus.
- Stir, then put a lid on the pan and cook at a very gentle heat until the water is all absorbed.
- Serve in a bowl with the pumpkin seeds scattered on top.
The Health Boost Tip
Quinoa contains all nine essential amino acids meaning it is a complete protein source. It is rich in photonutrients, providing a significant amount of antioxidants. Quinoa is a great grain substitute for those following a gluten free diet (it's not technically a grain, but a grass) and has a low-allergy potential with a relatively high digestibility.