Braised red cabbage & apple
With December's festivities approaching, we're all starting to think about changing things up a bit and bringing the best seasonal ingredients together with warming spices and flavours. As we do truly love our rainbow food, red cabbage and apples are just perfect and will accompany game meat, real butcher's sausages, gammon or a Sunday roast perfectly.
1 red cabbage, sliced or shredded
2 apples, skin on, cored and sliced
2 cinnamon sticks (or 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon)
2 knobs of butter
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
prep time: 15mins
cook time: 1hr
- In a large saucepan, add 2 large knobs of butter and melt
- Add the shredded cabbage, cover and cook on low- medium heat for 10 minutes
- Douse with the apple cider vinegar and honey and stir
- Add the cinnamon sticks
- Cover and simmer gently, covered, for at least 50 minutes, until all cabbage and apples have softened but still with texture
- Adjust seasoning ( extra cinnamon if desired)
- It will easily keep for a couple of days in the fridge
the health boost tip
As a member of the cruciferous family, we highly recommend including red cabbage in your diet. Low in calories and rich in fibres, Vitamin A and C it also brings fabulous colour to your winter meals.
Cinnamon is not just for Christmas! It can also help balance blood sugar and is useful for type 2 diabetics patients. Cinnamon is also anti inflammatory and can help reduce harmful LDL cholesterol.
Apple cider vinegar has recently seen a revival and research shows that it helps digestion and improves overall gut health, key to keeping your immune system strong.