Christmas energy baubles
I started experimenting with raw food a while back now and always find new inspiration for energy balls, adjusting flavours and ingredients to suit seasons, moods and hectic family diaries. In order to satisfy that festive spiced biscuit craving and still provide the much needed post workout fuel or after-school sport these cranberry and mixed spice balls do the trick. And the level of spice can be adjusted to suit younger or more mature eaters equally.
6 large pitted Medjool dates
125g dried cranberries
2 cups ground almonds
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
2 tablespoons of almond butter
2 teaspoons mixed ground spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prep Time: 15mins
Setting time: 1hr approx
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the dates, cranberries and vanilla and pulse until well combined and forming a sticky paste.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients.
- Pulse until a dough forms. The dough will be thick and sticky and easy to handle to form the energy balls. If too dry, add a little warm water. If too wet add a little extra ground almonds.
- Roll into 12-15 medium sized balls.
- Store in the fridge in air tight container to set for a few hours.
- These will keep for over a week in the fridge. Can also be frozen.
THE HEALTH BOOST TIP
There is no end to experimenting with flavours and ingredients when it comes to raw energy balls. So quick and easy to make and offering a good balance of naturally occurring sweetness (dates and cranberries), protein (chia seeds) and essential fatty acids (almonds), they are part of our busy active family lives here at The Health Boost!
These keep really well, I would recommend making several batches.