red cabbage & fennel slaw
A colourful vibrant salad that's packed full of antioxidants. It's great served at a barbecue or as part of a buffet of salads. I like to serve this for a Saturday lunch with some good quality butcher's sausages.
1 small red cabbage
1/2 fennel bulb
2 spring onions
handful of corainder
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
pinch of chilli flakes
1 tablespoon of pistachio kernels
juice of 1 lime
6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
salt and pepper
- Finely slice the red cabbage and fennel either using a sharp knife or the slice attachment of your food processor and add to a large bowl.
- Finely slice the spring onion and coriander and also add to the bowl.
- Add the cumin and chilli to the bowl along with the pistachio kernels.
- Squeeze the juice of the lime and add the juice to the bowl.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together and then add the dressing to the salad and give everything a good mix together.
The Health Boost Tip
Cabbage is the "king" of the cruciferous vegetables. Cruciferous vegetables have gained a big reputation for being anti-cancer due to their high phytonutrient content. Of particular interest is the compound Indole-3-carbinol, which has been shown to increase the rate at which oestrogen is broken down through the liver's detoxification pathway.