This is one of our go-to dishes as it's so simple to make. I have used red pepper and courgette in the recipe below, but it goes well with any vegetables that you have to hand such as aubergines, yellow peppers or leeks. Sometimes I stir through a bag of baby spinach and a tin of red kidney beans at the end, especially if I’m not serving with rice. This is delicious with brown rice, cauliflower rice, mashed potato or mashed sweet potato.
10 chicken thighs boneless and skinless
1 large onion diced
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 large courgette sliced
1 large red pepper sliced into small squares
2 teaspoon smoked paprika
680g bottle of passata. Check to make sure no added sugar. We use the Biona Organic Rustica Passata which we buy from Ocado.
A couple of ladles of chicken stock if you have in the fridge or else just use boiling water.
- Heat oven to 150°C
- Sweat the onion for five minutes
- Add the crushed garlic and cook for a further few minutes
- Add the chopped pepper and courgette.
- Cook together for a few minutes.
- Add the smoked paprika and stir.
- Add the chicken thighs and allow to brown slightly below adding the passata and the stock/water.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the heated oven for a couple of hours until the chicken falls apart.
The Health Boost Tip
If you can, choose organic chicken which has a lower risk of contaminated food and usually has a higher nutrient quality.
This dish can be easily doubled/tripled to store away in the freezer.