banana & date bread
We've had to do a lot of testing, and then obviously eating, to get this banana bread right. We were determined to make a banana bread with zero refined sugar – not even maple syrup or honey. We used only naturally sweet bananas and dates to sweeten. All five THB children declared it a winner, which we can tell you is a hard task indeed!
10 large dates, pitted
2 free-range eggs
2 ripe bananas
2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
100g ground almonds
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to medium, about 160°c
- In a food processor blitz the dates
- Remove the dates to a small bowl
- In the food processor add the ripe bananas and eggs and blend until smooth
- Add the desiccated coconut, ground almonds, baking powder and cinnamon
- Blend again until smooth
- Add the dates to the food processor and give another quick blitz
- Add the mixture to a pre-lined loaf tin
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden
- Cool on a wire rack and serve with a cup of tea
The Health Boost Tip
This recipe is totally refined sugar free so perfect to enjoy at any time. It is a great way to use up any ripe bananas. Bananas are a good source of vitamin B6 and potassium.
A study in 2012 found bananas to be as effective as the equivalent amount of carbohydrates and minerals in a processed sports drink - surely a good reason to use this banana loaf pre-workout or at half-time in a match!