carrot, apple & ginger soup
I'm not sure I can claim any credit for this soup. My daughter was chatting about her love of carrot, apple and ginger juice and saying she wished it was hot since she didn't like drinking a cold juice in winter. So I suggested that I make it into a soup and she was very excited. It was her idea to include turmeric as our local cafe serves a carrot and turmeric juice which she loves.
Knob of butter
1 large onion, sliced
1 leek, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 apple, sliced
1 teaspoon ground ginger or thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground turmeric or thumb-sized piece of fresh turmeric root
300g chicken or vegetable stock
100ml coconut milk
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the carrot and leek and cook until soft.
- Add the garlic cloves and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the carrots, apple, ginger, turmeric and stock.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes until the carrots are soft.
- Add the coconut milk and cook for a few more minutes.
- Blend and serve with a swirl of coconut milk.
the health boost tip
Carrots are exceptionally high in provitamin A carotenes, vitamin K, biotin and fibre. Carrots also promote good vision, especially night vision. In fact, beta-carotenes provide protection against macular degeneration and the development of cataracts.