raw cacao, orange & turmeric power balls
A lot of the 'healthy' snacks on the market aren't actually that healthy. As busy mums to active sporty kids, we prefer to make sure that if our children need to refuel between meals, we try and have nutrient dense homemade snacks ready and available. These energy balls are nut-free too, so can be taken to school or the local sports club. And for those who like a strong boost, add extra turmeric, go on!
10 large pitted Medjool dates, pitted
100g gluten free oats
2 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoon of turmeric powder (or more)
Zest and juice of 1 blood orange
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prep Time: 10mins
Setting time: 1hr approx
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the dates, orange juice and vanilla and pulse until well combined and forming a sticky paste.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients.
- Pulse until a dough forms. The dough will be thick and sticky and easy to handle to hand roll into balls.
- Roll into 12-15 medium sized balls.
- Store in the fridge in air tight container to set for a few hours.
- These will keep for over a week in the fridge. Can also be frozen.
THE HEALTH BOOST TIP
There we go, another day of experimenting with flavours and raw ingredients. So quick and easy to make and offering all the health benefits of turmeric (anti inflammatory) and raw cacao (anti-oxidant). Combining oats and chia seeds (protein) will help you feel full for longer post workout or sport practice until your next meal. They are part of our busy active family life here at The Health Boost! These are very nutrient dense so you only need 1 or maybe 2. If you are prone to overindulging then pop them in the freezer to bring out when needed.