A savoury flapjack is a mixture of oats, seeds and vegetables baked until crispy. What's not to love? Here we've used carrots, spinach, feta and coriander to give a fresh vibrant flapjack. If you, or your children, don't like whole seeds then finely blitz them in a food processor before adding to the oat mix. Can be served cold in a packed lunch or warm straight from the oven for a perfect vegetarian meal.
makes 12 squares
handful of baby leaf spinach
2 tablespoon pumpkins seeds
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
100g feta cheese
50ml olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a baking tray measuring 36cm x 20cm with greaseproof paper
- Grate the carrots in a food processor so they are finely grated
- Add the oats, carrots, spinach and seeds to a large bowl and mix well.
- Crumble the feta cheese and add to the bowl.
- Lightly whisk the eggs and add to the bowl along with the olive oil and chopped coriander.
- Mix everything together.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add to the baking tray and using your hands or a spatula press down firmly.
- Place the baking tray in the preheated oven and cook for about 30 minutes until lightly golden.
- Cut into 12 squares.
the health boost tip
Seeds are important in a healthy diet. They contain a good supply of zinc, magnesium, copper and vitamin E as well as healthy fats, which are essential in our diet. They also provide long lasting energy that can carry you throughout the day while helping to maintain healthy blood sugar levels.