mocha energy shot
These new energy balls were inspired by, or should I say, commissioned by my Sweaty Betty team mates! They have been designed to be free from most of what we try to avoid or reduce and full of the flavour of that much loved coffee shot! They are a perfect made ahead item and were a massive instant hit at our Monthly meeting!
180g pitted Medjool dates (about 9 large dates)
1 cup gluten free oats (we like Rude Health Sprouted Porridge Oats)
3 tablespoon raw cacao powder (we use Creative Nature)
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoon chia seeds (we use The Chia Co)
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
3 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
Prep Time: 15mins
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the dates, vanilla and espresso shot and pulse until well combined and forming a paste.
- Add in all the remaining dry ingredients except the chocolate chips.
- Pulse until a dough forms. The dough will be thick and sticky and easy to handle to form the energy balls / bites. If too dry, add a little warm water. If too wet add a little extra coconut.
- Add the chocolate chips
- Roll into 12-16 medium sized balls.
- Store in the fridge in air tight container where they will keep for up to 2 weeks. Can also be frozen.
THE HEALTH BOOST TIP
When I first started experimenting with mixing raw ingredients, the plan was to create a basic nutritious recipe to amend, change and twist as I go along. This is exactly what I have been doing since. These are quite grown-up with that espresso flavour providing a handy pre or post workout delicious fuel or refuel.
Discard the coffee shot, and thanks to being nut-free, these healthy snacks will comply with your school's no nut policy.
They offer the right balance of good carbohydrates (GF rolled oats), protein and omega-3 (chia seeds) and naturally occurring sugar from the dates.
These keep so well, I would recommend batch preparing. Make sure to hide them though!