roasted red pesto
When my kids were little, as most toddlers do, they went through a phase of refusing everything green added to their plate! Shock horror! My way round it was to add Green Pesto to their pasta. From then on, pesto, was always going to be homemade. Over the years, I have made green pesto and red pesto alike. It is so easy and delicious. Pick and choose the vegetables you enjoy, pick and mix the nuts and have fun creating.... and eating of course! This is my favourite Mediterranean combination.
2 red peppers
250g cherry tomatoes
1 red onion
2-3 garlic cloves
10 Brazil nuts
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Clean and chop the peppers, tomatoes and onion.
- Peel 2 or 3 garlic cloves.
- On a baking tray lay all of the chopped vegetables and garlic.
- Sprinkle with olive oil.
- On another baking try, add the brazil nuts.
- Slide both trays in the oven and roast until vegetables appear caramelised (between 20 and 30mins).
- In a food processor, add all roasted vegetables and nuts and pulse until you reach the desired coarse or smooth texture.
- Add pepper to taste.
the health boost tip
When you mention pesto most people think about a large bowl of Italian pasta. But this pesto can do so much more for you. It can be used in a sandwich, served on warmed up pitta breads as a healthy snack or topped on salmon, chicken or served as an appetiser.
This roasted pesto is also nutrient dense. We specifically chose Brazil nuts for being the best selenium food source in the world! Selenium, often lacking in our diets, is crucial to many bodily functions including fighting inflammation and enhancing mood.