matcha & mint energy bars
Healthy energy snacks are an every day necessity in our house. As a busy working active mum of two sporty energetic kids, even with all the organisation in the world, refuelling sometime has to happen in the car between school and evening activities, for them and for me! So I have become quite creative with my flavours to keep things fun. With mint in abundance in my garden, I was inspired.
makes 16 squares
6 large Medjool dates, pitted
1 tablespoon cashew butter
1 tablespoon chia seeds (we use The Chia Co)
1 tablespoon Matcha Green Tea powder
1 cup Gluten Free rolled oats
1 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2 drops Peppermint Organic Essential oil (we use DoTerra)
prep time: 10mins
freeze time: 30mins
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper (8x8in or 20x20cm roughly).
- In the bowl of a food processor add the pitted dates and cashew butter and pulse until it makes a smooth sticky paste.
- Add oats, pumpkin seeds, coconut and chia seeds and pulse until well incorporated.
- Finally, add matcha powder and peppermint oil and pulse some more.
- Pour mixture in the prepared tray and pat down to level.
- Place in your freezer for about 30 minutes to set.
- Cut into squares or shape and size of your choice!
the health boost tip
These treats are packed full of protein, good fats and antioxidants and sweetened only by the dates' naturally occurring sugar. They are fun and easy to take anywhere with you as a healthy refuelling source between meals, before or after training or on your way to sport practise. In order to turn them into a nut-free school friendly snack, replace the cashew butter with seed butter or tahini.