blueberry & almond loaf
I am back with my favourite again! Reworking childhood recipes with a healthier twist. This one is a recipe we used to call "Gateau au yaourt" which means cake made with yoghurt. But it's more than that! You start with the yoghurt pot and you keep going as the empty pot becomes your measure for the rest of the ingredients!! Growing up, we all knew how to make that one! I have removed all refined sugar, gluten and if using coconut yoghurt it will also be dairy free!
1 pot natural full fat yoghurt ( 125g) I like to use La Laitière available at Ocado UK because they come in lovely re-usable glass pots!
1/2 pot coconut oil melted
3/4 pot coconut blossom nectar (from Tiana Organic)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
3 pots self-raising gluten free flour (I use Doves Farm)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pot ground almonds
1 pot fresh or frozen blueberries
Prep time: 20mins
Cook time: 30mins
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Grease and line loaf tin
- In a large bowl, add the yoghurt and rinse the empty pot
- Add the coconut blossom nectar, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and eggs and mix well
- Add the flour and ground almonds and stir well until smooth
- Add the blueberries and fold gently
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin
- Slide in the oven for around 25-30 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean
- Rest on a wire rack until almost cool
- I like to serve it with a dollop of coconut yoghurt and extra blueberries. My favourite coconut yoghurt is by Coyo
the health boost tip
Sometimes, all it takes to make your whole family very happy on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, is a little impromptu baking! This is the one! Easy, no fussy ingredients except maybe for the coconut sugar and you will not be disappointed! It works with other berries and is also amazing with plums or apricots!
At The Health Boost, we love our long countryside walks with kids and dogs and this recipe is the perfect post "family walk" quick bake!